Payback of Unemployment Benefits Pittsburgh

After a termination, unemployment compensation can help you support your family and bridge the gap while you are searching for a new job. If you have incurred an overpayment, it can make a difficult financial situation that much worse.

At Samuel J. Cordes & Associates in Pittsburgh, we have helped people across Pennsylvania get the unemployment benefits they need and deserve. In addition, if you have incurred a nonfault or fault overpayment, we can help you fight it. Call 412-567-5444 to discuss your case with one of our lawyers.

How Does an Unemployment Overpayment Occur?

You don't have to commit fraud to incur an overpayment. Even if you do everything correctly when filing for unemployment compensation, you could be held liable for weeks of overpayment. There are three types of unemployment compensation overpayment:

  • Nonfault recoupable overpayment: If you have been found eligible to collect unemployment compensation and your employer appeals and wins, you will incur an overpayment for all weeks that you have been paid. The overpayment will be deducted from any future benefit payments that you receive that year and three years following.
  • Nonfault overpayment: If you are found eligible to receive unemployment compensation and your employer appeals and loses, but wins on a second appeal, you will receive an overpayment. You do not have to pay this back.
  • Fault overpayment: A fault overpayment occurs when a person withholds or misrepresents material facts to get unemployment compensation, including not reporting your earnings or severance package correctly. This type of overpayment must be repaid.

You have 15 days to appeal a determination of overpayment. Our attorneys have helped many people in Pennsylvania fight fault and nonfault overpayments. We can also help you understand how severance benefits offset the unemployment compensation you can receive and ensure that you do not receive an overpayment.

Contact Our Pennsylvania Employment Law Attorneys

To discuss your case in a consultation with one of our lawyers, call 412-567-5444 or contact us online.